Perched on sandstone rock formations, the Meteora Monasteries are spectacular buildings that blend with the natural landscape. Visit them on an excursion by train from Athens.
Meteora Day Trip
Begin your day trip from the Athens railway station at 7:20 am, when your train will depart at that time to Kalambaka, where you'll arrive around 11:30 am.
Meet your English-speaking guide who will be waiting for you at the exit of the Kalambaka railway station. Hop on a comfortable bus and you will be driven to the stunning Meteora Monasteries. During the trip, your guide will reveal the history of these abbeys, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Upon arrival at the peaks of these giant rocks, you'll have four hours of free time to discover the monasteries and learn their history, drinking in the majesty of these religious sites perched high upon the rocks. The complex is made up of a total of six priories: Monastery of St. Nikolaos, Monastery of Holy Trinity, Monastery of St. Stephen, Monastery of Roussanou, Monastery of Varlaam and Monastery of Great Meteoron. All the cloisters are of medieval origin and are built on various sandstone mounds, which dominate the surrounding landscape.
Following free time, your driver will take you back to Kalambaka station, where you can enjoy a delicious lunch at any of the restaurants near the station. Your train departs at 5:15 pm and you'll be back in Athens at around 9:30 pm.
- A few days before the excursion, our local provider will send you an email with your train tickets. You must print them and make your way to the railway station on the day of the activity.
- Your train to Meteora departs at 8:20 am (7:20 am from the 20th of May) from Athens railway station. To make sure you don’t miss the train, we recommend getting there at least half an hour before departure time.
- The admission ticket to each monastery is 3 euros per person. This cost is not included in the price of the tour. On the day of the tour, we'll admire six monasteries from the outside and visit the interior of three of those.
- All monasteries have a strict dress code: Men must be wearing clothing that covers their shoulders and knees (shorts and shirts without sleeves are not permitted). Women must also have their shoulders covered, as well as knees being covered with a long skirt. Long trousers on women are not allowed.
- When making your reservation, please take into account that the Meteoro monastery closes every Tuesday. If your reservation is for this day, you will enjoy the monument from the outside.
|Adults||Children from 4 to 12||Children under 4|
|Meteora Day Trip by Train||
|Meteora Day Trip by Train in First Class||
Meteora Day Trip by Train
Children from 4 to 12US$ 98.20
Children under 4Free
Meteora Day Trip by Train in First Class
Children from 4 to 12US$ 117.90
Children under 4Free
Please check local restrictions before traveling. All of our services comply with recommendations to avoid the spread of Covid-19.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in English.
English speaking guide
Return train tickets to and from Kalambaka in the selected category
Return transfer by bus from the Kalambaka train station to the Meteora Monasteries
Admission tickets to the Meteora Monasteries (3 euros per person for each monastery)
When to book?
You can book up until 10 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Type of voucher
Electronic. Show the voucher on your phone.
Varies according to the attraction included. An accompanying person is required. This must be indicated in the reservation.
All services published on Civitatis are carried out in accordance with our Sustainability Code.
No printing of documentation required.
Frequently asked questions
Q - Is a guided tour of the inside of the monasteries included?
A - No, the guided visit only takes place outside
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us .
Athens railway station