Perched on sandstone rock formations, the Meteora Monasteries are spectacular buildings that blend with the natural landscape. Visit them on an excursion by train from Athens.
Begin your day trip from the Athens railway station at 8:20am. Your train will depart at that time to Kalambaka, where you will arrive around 1:30pm.
Meet your English-speaking chauffeur who will be waiting for you at the exit of the Kalambaka railway station. Hop on a comfortable bus and you will be driven to the stunning Meteora Monasteries. During the 20-minute trip, your chauffeur will reveal the history of these abbeys, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Upon arrival at the peaks of these giant rocks, you’ll have three hours to visit the monasteries you want at your own leisure. The complex is made up of a total of six priories: Monastery of St. Nikolaos, Monastery of Holy Trinity, Monastery of St. Stephen, Monastery of Roussanou, Monastery of Varlaam and Monastery of Great Meteoron. All the cloisters are of medieval origin and are built on various sandstone mounds, which dominate the surrounding landscape.
Once the three hours are up, your chauffeur will take you back to Kalambaka station, where you can enjoy a nice lunch at any of the restaurants near the station. Your train departs at 5:22pm and you will be back in Athens at around 10:15pm.
- A few days before the excursion, your local supplier will send you an email with your train tickets. You must print them and make your way to the railway station on the day of the activity.
- Your train to Meteora departs at 8:20am from Athens railway station. To make sure you don’t miss the train, we recommend getting there at least half an hour before departure time.
- The admission ticket to each monastery is 3 euros per person. This cost is not included in the price of the tour.
- All monasteries have a strict dress code: women and men are not allowed to wear shorts or tank tops.
|Adults||Children under 4|
|Day Trip with Standard Train Ticket||
|Day Trip with First Class Train Ticket||
Day Trip with Standard Train Ticket
Children under 4Free
Day Trip with First Class Train Ticket
Children under 4Free
* A reservation for one person will include a supplement.
The tour is exclusively in English.
Return train tickets to and from Kalambaka (you choose the type of train ticket you prefer).
Return transfer by bus from Kalambaka train station to Meteora Monasteries.
English speaking chauffeur will be driving the bus.
Admission tickets to the Meteora Monasteries (3 euros per person for each monastery).
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up to 3 days before (Athens local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
Athens railway station