Perched on sandstone rock formations, the Meteora Monasteries are spectacular buildings that blend with the natural landscape. Visit them on an excursion by train from Athens.
Meteora Day Trip
Begin your day trip from the Athens railway station at 8:20 am, (7:20 from the 20th of May onwards) when your train will depart at that time to Kalambaka, where you will arrive around 1:30 pm (11:30 am from the 20th of May).
Meet your English-speaking guide who will be waiting for you at the exit of the Kalambaka railway station. Hop on a comfortable bus and you will be driven to the stunning Meteora Monasteries. During the 20-minute trip, your chauffeur will reveal the history of these abbeys, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Upon arrival at the peaks of these giant rocks, you’ll have four hours of free time to discover the monasteries at your own pace, drinking in the majesty of these religious sites perched high upon the rocks. The complex is made up of a total of six priories: Monastery of St. Nikolaos, Monastery of Holy Trinity, Monastery of St. Stephen, Monastery of Roussanou, Monastery of Varlaam and Monastery of Great Meteoron. All the cloisters are of medieval origin and are built on various sandstone mounds, which dominate the surrounding landscape.
Once the three hours are up, your driver will take you back to Kalambaka station, where you can enjoy a delicious lunch at any of the restaurants near the station. Your train departs at 5.30 pm and you will be back in Athens at around 9:30 pm.
- A few days before the excursion, your local supplier will send you an email with your train tickets. You must print them and make your way to the railway station on the day of the activity.
- Your train to Meteora departs at 8:20 am (7:20 am from the 20th of May) from Athens railway station. To make sure you don’t miss the train, we recommend getting there at least half an hour before departure time.
- The admission ticket to each monastery is 3 euros per person. This cost is not included in the price of the tour. On the day of the tour, we'll admire six monasteries from the outside and visit the interior of three of those.
- All monasteries have a strict dress code: neither women nor men are not allowed to wear shorts or tank tops.
- When making your reservation, please take into account that the Meteoro monastery closes every Tuesday. If your reservation is for this day, you will enjoy the monument from the outside.
|Adults||Children from 4 to 12||Children under 4|
|Meteora Day Trip by Train||
Meteora Day Trip by Train
Children from 4 to 12US$ 86.30
Children under 4Free
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations to avoid the spread of Covid-19. Show more
Tours or activities will not consist of more than 20 people per group.
A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
Return train tickets to and from Kalambaka.
Return transfer by bus from the Kalambaka train station to the Meteora Monasteries.
English speaking tour guide.
VIP Limo Mini Bus with free wifi.
Hotel pick up.
Admission tickets to the Meteora Monasteries (3 euros per person for each monastery).
When to book?
You can book up until 30 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Type of voucher
Electronic. Show the voucher on your phone.
Varies according to the attraction included. An accompanying person is required. This must be indicated in the reservation.
Frequently asked questions
Q - Is a guided tour of the inside of the monasteries included?
A - No, the guided visit only takes place outside
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
Athens railway station